On this special episode of Better Georgia, we speak with attorney and former state representative of Ringgold, Georgia, McCracken Poston, about his career in the state legislature. We go over a wide range of topics, from his beginnings in Graysville and his unique election campaign, to his crackdown on lobbyists and comprehensive ethics reform. Listen to learn more about Poston’s incredible political career and how he has shaped our state for the better.
You can Subscribe and Listen to the Podcast on iTunes, and be sure to leave us a Rating and Review!
If I’m going to do something that’s meaningful, I have to do it now, because who knows how long any of us have on this Earth, or even shorter time in the legislature.” – McCracken Poston
- How McCracken ended up in politics
- Why his run for state legislature put McCracken in good stead with the Speaker of the House
- How McCracken fought the petroleum industry for his constituents
- How McCracken’s honeymoon played an important role in his fight against lobbyists
- When and why the Democratic Reform Caucus was created
- What happened in the “novelty toy” incident
- Why Tom Murphy wouldn’t allow any of Poston’s bills
- How McCracken had such a hard time passing a bill for training service dogs (and why it eventually passed)
- Why losing his race against Nathan Deal was such an important moment for his life
- What issues face Georgia today that are on McCracken’s mind
The Speaker [Tom Murphy] and I got along quite well until the end of his life, and again, I think he deserves one of the biggest statues on the grounds of the capitol.” – McCracken Poston
The state will survive you and the state will go on without you, so why not, in your short time here, risk making it shorter by trying to make it better? That’s what we need more of.” – McCracken Poston