In this bonus episode of the Better Georgia Podcast, we’re looking at Opportunity School Districts – will Governor Deal’s ballot measure to take over schools pass with voters in November? What will happen to schools if the ballot measure succeeds?
Listen to today’s episode to hear what the Better Georgia hosts think of the ballot measure and what problems in schools should be addressed that aren’t even mentioned in this bill.
You can Subscribe and Listen to the podcast on iTunes, and be sure to leave us a rating and review!
There have just not been examples of it being effective and successful to make me believe in it.” – Adrienne White
- What is the Opportunity School District ballot measure?
- Governor Deal’s impact on education
- The relationship between the schools and the community
- How this bill will affect teachers
- Where the idea for this bill came from
You can’t just fix the school inside the walls of the classroom, you’ve got to fix the community.” – Bryan Long
- Why the hunger issues in schools need to be solved
- The importance of being informed about this bill
- Who decides that a school is failing
- Why you have to vote all the way down the ballot
- The importance of researching ballot measures
- Listen to the This American Life episode about a school in Missouri Part 1 and Part 2
- Teacher on testing: We did everything state asked. Didn’t matter.
I understand that parents and most Georgians want to improve our schools and we have to, but this is not the solution.” – Bryan Long