Over the past year, the state spent $305 million less on student awards than the previous year. Georgia’s HOPE Scholarship has not been fully funded since 2008.
As a result, many students take on expensive college debt and there’s an increasing number of students who leave school without finishing their degree.
Today’s high school freshmen won’t have the HOPE Scholarship.
HOPE doesn’t have to fail. You can help.
5 Easy Things You Can Do Now
There are 5 easy things you can do now to help save HOPE Scholarships.
- Sign the Save Georgia’s HOPE Scholarship Petition: Click here.
- Find out who represents you and your neighborhood. Find your nine-digit ZIP code on your driver’s license and enter it in the search box at www.votesmart.org. Click to open the “State Legislative” plus sign and find their contact information.
- Tell your lawmakers how the changes to HOPE Scholarship impact you. Call them, visit their office or send an old-fashioned letter by the U.S. Post Office. Download a template to follow here: Save HOPE Scholarship (PDF)
- Tell your friends, family and co-workers about what’s happening with HOPE.
- Get social. Join Better Georgia on Facebook. Share your HOPE stories with friends.
Now, that’s not so bad is it. Don’t be discouraged by how impossible the task sounds. Take one small step today and others will follow.